Youth Development Specialist - San Francisco
Youth Development Specialists at New Door Ventures provide case management, advocacy, and life & job skills training to youth as they participate in New Door’s programs, with a goal of supporting youth to attach to future employment and education. In addition to this core work, each Youth Development Specialist works on multiple special projects as needed, including workshop curriculum development, outreach & recruitment, and collecting beneficiary feedback.
We believe all youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood. New Door participants represent a population of opportunity youth (ages 16-24) in San Francisco and the East Bay who have historically and systematically experienced challenges gaining access to the workforce. A typical youth profile has a combination of critical risk factors: a background in foster care, justice system involvement, significant substance abuse histories, experience of homelessness, connection with gang activity, and lack of positive adult supports. We believe all youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
New Door has a vibrant team approach and all Youth Development Specialists work collaboratively to develop and execute youth programs, provide individual case management and support to a young person, and participate in the broader Bay Area youth employment community. New Door emphasizes an outcome-focused approach to youth development and places high value on the power of relationships to transform the lives of the young people we serve. The ideal candidate also shares our commitment to advancing equity and personal integrity.
- Case Management Support (caseload of 8-10)
- Training & Skill Development
- Program Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Relational Support
- Organizational Support
- External Relationship Management
- Case Notes and Documentation
- Youth-centered Activities Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience providing direct services (e.g., workshop facilitation, case management, program development) to disconnected youth populations
- Demonstrated excellence in youth development philosophy, skills and practice
- Experience in a youth employment program preferred
- Willingness to work in a highly-integrated, collaborative, high-functioning team
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and independently solve problems
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including basic Microsoft proficiency
- Ideal candidates will have a deep understanding of San Francisco, Alameda and/or Contra Costa County, including available youth resources and similar community-based organizations, depending on primary region of focus
- Enjoys working for an organization that is scaling and can perform most case management and facilitation tasks independently or with little supervision
- Ability to form relationships with local community organizations and knowledge of available resources for our population
- Has demonstrated a proven commitment and desire to work in the Bay Area
- A Focus on Impact and Effectiveness — Alignment with organizational mission, values and goals, effective collaboration with others to achieve impact, regularly refocus on results and impact and the ability to focus on important issues only
- Initiative — Identify ways to improve processes/situations, take responsibility for problem-solving, set a high standard of work quality and generate original ideas
- Interpersonal Skills — Interact confidently, read situations well, adapt own behavior to suit the situation, the ability to initiate and grow mutually beneficial relationships and manage potentially difficult relationships
- Learning and Decision-Making — able to make sound decisions with good judgment despite incomplete information or limited time, apply learning to new situations and use evidence to learn and support decision-making
Why work with us?
- You’ll be challenged and provided with opportunities to learn and grow professionally through trainings and on the job experiences.
- You get to have a major impact on the lives of young adults in the Bay Area by ensuring they receive the highest quality and most relevant work and life skill experience.
- You’ll work in a stimulating, motivating culture with smart and talented co-workers and with a strong and established leadership team.
- You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits package, including matching 403(b), tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits and 13 vacation days (increasing with tenure).
Compensation will be in the mid to high $40s annually DOE along with our generous benefits.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from a diversity of backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume AND a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST SAN FRANCISCO in the subject line, and email the resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.