Chief Development Officer
About the Organization
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two programs: Employment and Education. We are currently seeking a Chief Development Officer to provide leadership, strategy, and management for all aspects of the organization’s Development department, as well as contribute to organization-wide strategy as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
About the Role
New Door Ventures is in a strong financial position. Building on over a decade of strong financial stewardship and fundraising, the incoming Chief Development Officer will be a visionary and collaborative leader, who will set the strategic direction of New Door Ventures’ Development department, which includes a major gifts (individuals and family foundations) program, institutional philanthropy, Board Give/Get campaign, annual fund, volunteer program, and marketing and external communications. In addition to managing a team of four development professionals and growing a personal portfolio of donors, the Chief Development Officer is expected to contribute to the leadership of the entire organization, both operationally and strategically, and to partner with the Board of Directors on fundraising efforts.
In 2020, New Door Revenue came from the following sources – 40% foundations; 30% individual giving, 24% public funding; 4% corporate and 2% faith and civic. New Door Ventures anticipates growing our annual revenue from an average of $4.7M over the last three years to $5M+ by 2022 in support of our expanding programs for local young people. The Chief Development Officer will be charged with growing our existing revenue streams, particularly individual giving, while exploring new funding streams including a fee-for-service model.
Development: In partnership with the CEO, Board of Directors, and Development team, drive New Door Ventures’ successful fundraising efforts to achieve the organization’s ambitious growth trajectory. This individual will have a clear and measurable track record of success, including developing and implementing a fundraising strategy that exceeds revenue targets; building long-term, authentic partnerships that inspire six- and seven-figure gifts; and driving year-over-year revenue growth. The Chief Development Officer will:
- Develop annual and multi-year fundraising plans to support New Door Ventures’ mission
- Maintain and grow a portfolio of major individual ($25K+) and institutional ($100K+) accounts, conducting substantial donor touchpoints (e.g., site visits, virtual meetings, coffee meetings) annually
- Serve as the primary fundraising contact for the Board of Directors. Staff the Development Committee, helping establish the group’s annual strategy and priorities and ensuring that members are equipped and supported to effectively cultivate and solicit major donor prospects.
- Oversee volunteer and fundraising events, in collaboration with the Development team and Board Events Committee
- Stay abreast of trends in the nonprofit, corporate, and private philanthropic spaces that may impact New Door Ventures’ fundraising efforts
- Ensure best-in-class development operations, including data management and gift processing
Marketing & Communications: Oversee the development of a highly effective marketing and external communications strategy that ensures New Door Ventures is represented accurately, with integrity and optimal impact across diverse audiences. Proactively develop and strengthen our brand across all stakeholder audiences through asset-based storytelling. The Chief Development Officer will:
- Oversee organization communications through e-newsletters, annual report, printed materials, and social media
- Plan and execute website upgrades and enhancements
- Participate in messaging, branding, and external communications decisions
- Work with staff to segment and coordinate donor mailing lists, ensuring that stewardship plans coordinate with marketing activities
Team Management and Talent Development: With a leader-to-leader mentality and a strengths-based approach, retain, recruit, and manage a team of four development professionals:
- Establish work plans, performance objectives and goals, and regularly review individual and team performance
- Provide professional development and training opportunities to enhance team’s skills, and create space to discuss and support long-term career goals of team
- Develop fundraising portfolios and annual revenue goals for the CEO, CDO, and Associate Director of Development, working in collaboration with each of these individuals
- Cultivate a collaborative and inclusive team culture where staff are coached and empowered to excel in their roles, and where diverse backgrounds and perspectives are respected and valued. Create space for two-way feedback to increase impact.
- Secure and manage outside resources (e.g., website developers, PR or communications firm, pro-bono professionals, volunteers) to achieve goals
- Bring the abilities to navigate complex issues, exercise collective and decisive leadership, balance needs of direct reports with those of the organization at-large, and motivate others to achieve strong results
Executive Leadership: Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, which includes the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Program Officer, Director of People Operations, Director of Finance & Administration, and Director of Strategic Initiatives, to advance the mission of New Door Ventures. The Chief Development Officer will:
- Actively participate in the development of the organization’s strategic plan, annual operating plans, and senior leadership decisions
- Set multi-year fundraising strategies and goals as part of the organization’s strategic planning process
- Demonstrate an unwavering commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, promoting a culture of belonging and standing against instances or systems of unconscious, implicit, or explicit bias
- At least seven years of successful, senior-level experience in fundraising or relevant field; experience in nonprofit human services organizations is highly desired
- At least three years’ experience managing/supervising staff
- Experience engaging and motivating diverse individuals and groups toward accomplishing goals
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, implement, and assess innovative fundraising strategies, including earned revenue and holistic corporate partnerships
- Self-starting, goal-oriented individual with demonstrated ability to conduct major gift solicitations
- Ability to think cross-functionally and consider far-reaching implications of decisions outside of their own team
- Results and impact oriented. Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Ability and willingness to travel locally and, on rare occasions, nationally. Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed for donor meetings, events, board meetings, etc.
- Understanding of and appreciation for the mission of a leading human services nonprofit organization; ability to articulate and advocate for organizational vision and goals clearly and persuasively.
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree a plus.
The Chief Development Officer will earn a starting salary of $120,000-$135,000 annually, dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits, 13 vacation days per year, 10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Chief Development Officer in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Contact: To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Staffing@newdoor.org.
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**