Development and Community Relations Coordinator
About the Organization:
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two core programs: Employment, and Education. Our Development Department is responsible for all fundraising in support of these programs and general and administrative expenses. New Door is seeking a Development and Community Relations Coordinator to support the efforts of the Development team.
About the Development and Marketing Department:
The Development and Marketing Department is a small, results-oriented team, responsible for all fund development activities, as well as organization communications and volunteer recruitment. New Door Ventures is fortunate to have many longstanding, committed, funding and volunteer partners, and is also working to grow relationships across revenue streams and regions (San Francisco and Oakland).
About the Position:
The Development & Community Relations Coordinator will play a key role in the success of New Door’s fundraising, volunteerism and communications goals. The coordinator will join a small, creative and highly collaborative development & marketing team at New Door Ventures, charged with raising $3.5 million in revenue for 2021, driving organizational communications, and recruiting and tracking community volunteers to support New Door’s Employment and Education programs for systemically disadvantaged youth.
The Development & Community Relations Coordinator is an operations superstar who will perform cross-functional projects to ensure New Door stays on track toward our fundraising, volunteerism and communications goals. She/they/he are detail-oriented and experienced in building strong interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences, including volunteers, donors and colleagues across programs and finance departments. The Coordinator will report to New Door’s Director of Development and work in close collaboration with the Marketing & Community Relations Manager and Director of Finance and Administration.
As of November 2020, New Door’s staff is primarily working remotely except for staff responsible for meeting minimum basic operations. The primary functions of the role are required to meet basic operations and the Coordinator will need to be in the office 2 days per week during required periods of workplace closure. New Door’s spacious three-story building in the Mission District of San Francisco is a comfortable, welcoming space and is equipped to keep staff protected from Infectious Disease transmission. This role requires occasional evening and weekend work.
What Success Looks Like:
- All donations to New Door are carefully processed and donors are thanked within 48 hours of contributing. New Door’s donor database is accurate, up-to-date and reconciled with finance’s records on a monthly basis.
- Donors, board members, ambassador’s council members and leadership receive timely and “customer service” oriented support, including prospect research, and reports on revenue and donors.
- Donors feel appreciated, informed, and renew their gifts annually.
- New Door’s volunteerism program is well-organized and runs smoothly. Volunteers have a positive experience and high-performing volunteers return and are inspired to donate and deepen their relationship with New Door via the Ambassadors Council.
- Mail and digital fundraising appeals are executed flawlessly, with an eye to detail.
- Fundraising events have smooth, well-executed operations and guests have a positive and inspiring experience.
Donor Database, Operations and Research (30%)
- Maintain and manage accurate records in New Door’s donor database (Salesforce NPSP), including inputting and updating accounts, contacts, tasks, notes, documents, correspondence, reports and other materials from development and marketing team and other staff members
- Process and properly categorize all gifts, grants and pledges made to New Door, creating, sending and logging all acknowledgment letters for gifts in the database. Keep stakeholders, including board and associate board members, aware of their donor’s giving
- Perform strategic prospect research and develop effective meeting briefs for new and existing donors
- Manage and troubleshoot donation platforms, finding creative ways to improve processes
- Pull fundraising reports, analyze trends and track campaigns
Fundraising Appeals and Solicitation (30%)
- Project manage a minimum of two annual campaigns per year, including direct mail appeal and online campaigns with peer-to-peer fundraising plans
- Respond to donor inquiries related to credit card, stock, or online payments in a timely and professional manner
- Create compelling fundraising letters, pages and campaign messaging, donor recognition and stewardship plans, and communications/social media collateral for campaigns.
- Schedule and plan meetings and small-scale events with donors
- Support the planning and execution of organizational events, including New Door’s annual Glow Up Awards fundraiser, managing all aspects of event operations and logistics, including managing invite and RSVP lists and liaising with venue and vendors
- Schedule and plan monthly Ambassadors Council meetings (New Door’s Associate Board)
- Support Board and Ambassadors Council fundraising campaigns and events, including Giving Tuesday and stewardship events throughout the year
Volunteer Recruitment & Management (40%)
- Manage day-to-day volunteer coordination, recruitment and placement of 500 volunteers annually into program workshops
- Communicate closely with program staff on workshop dates, times & volunteer needs
- Serve as primary liaison for volunteers about upcoming workshops that need support, including confirming their attendance and thanking volunteers for participation
- Update volunteer-related outreach materials, social media posts & websites
- Track New Door’s volunteer data in Salesforce database, including adding contacts, creating campaigns & workshops, assigning volunteers, tracking volunteer hours and creating reports for grant and partnership purposes
- Develop partnerships with volunteer groups and companies to create a diverse pool of skilled volunteers
- Plans and executes special, one-time volunteer events for select partners
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- 3+ years of professional experience in a collaborative office and team setting
- 1+ year of nonprofit, fundraising and/or volunteer management experience
- CRM experience is a prerequisite for the position; Salesforce highly preferred
- Excellent and proven project management skills, with the ability to stay organized, anticipate needs, and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure, juggle multiple priorities, manage time independently, and pivot when needed
- Ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholders, and communicate in a clear, compelling, and diplomatic way
- Strong desire for continuous growth and improvement on an individual and organizational level
- Comfort with learning new systems and technologies, and a commitment to leveraging data to build organizational knowledge and drive strategy
- Enthusiasm for New Door Venture’s mission and commitment to New Door’s values
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and Outlook is required
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required
Location & Compensation: When not subject to local workspace closure requirements, this position is on-site at New Door’s San Francisco office. Organization hours are 9-5:30. Compensation for the role is commensurate with experience and starts at $45,000 annually. New Door offers a generous benefits package including: medical, dental, & vision benefits, a matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, 13 vacation days per year, commuter benefits, and 11 company holidays per year. This position is an hourly, non-exempt role.
Organizational Benefits: New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to employ a diverse professional team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Development & Community Relations Coordinator in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.