In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are over 20,000 youth aged 16-24 who are disconnected from the education, employment, and social support they need to successfully transition to adulthood. The events that occurred in 2020 caused the already growing opportunity gap to expand exponentially.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was borne out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater economic opportunity and stability in independent adulthood. 97% of New Door youth are low-income people of color who are experiencing barriers to employment and education.
In 2020, 321 youth were served through our employment, training, alumni services, education, case management and graduate services. As a result, 86% of youth were employed and/or in school six months after graduating from New Door’s programs. We’ve identified that one of the biggest challenges for youth is connecting their education to a career, and the criticality of helping them uncover their passion and motivations to find their “why?” so they can do their best work. Over the course of the last year, we’ve received consistent feedback that continued support is essential for their success as they transition to independent adulthood.
In order to meet this need, we’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Director of Strategic Initiatives.
Who we’re hiring:
With the sunsetting of our social enterprises in 2020, an opportunity has arisen for New Door to offer a new set of programs and services to meet the needs of our youth in the post-covid era. We’re looking for our Director of Strategic Initiatives who can partner with our CEO and Executive Team to lead in the development and execution of organization goals and programs for organizational development.
This is an opportunity for a leader to engage with all of our employees to develop an understanding of our strategic vision, culture, company mission, and people, as well as identify opportunities for growth for individuals and the organization. If you’re an effective listener who inspires others to do their best work and have an infectious enthusiasm for bringing economic and social mobility to underserved populations in the Bay Area, we’d love to hear from you!
While you’ll be asked to work primarily from our San Francisco headquarters location (we’re located in the Mission), we’ll ask that you travel to visit employer program sites and New Door community partners in Alameda and San Francisco Counties. Twice monthly there are expected evening meetings that begin at 5pm in San Francisco.
What Success Looks Like:
- Director of Strategic Initiatives will lead us in the development and execution of OKR’s and strategic vision that incorporate our values, mission, financial objectives, operational excellence, and performance management
- Ability to build strong relationships across cross-functional teams at both the leadership and individual contributor levels
- Strong leaderships and project management background with the ability to develop and executive on strategic initiatives
- You inspire others around you to do their best work and help create a supportive environment that enables growth
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related area to social services or its equivalent
- 6+ years of experience in organizational psychology, human resources, recruiting, and /or organizational development
- Inspirational leader who has exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building abilities
- An organized and strategic thinker who is comfortable with oversight and project management and holds a high attention to detail
- Demonstrable knowledge in conflict resolution and restorative practices
- A self-starter with strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to use appropriate computer and reporting systems including Windows operating system, Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook (Apricot or Salesforce knowledge a plus)
All interested applicants are to submit a resume and cover letter here.