Director of Transition Services
In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are over 20,000 youth aged 16-24 who historically excluded from the education, employment, and social support they need to successfully transition to adulthood. The events that occurred in 2020 caused the already growing opportunity gap to expand exponentially.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was borne out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater economic opportunity and stability in independent adulthood. 97% of New Door youth are low-income people of color who are experiencing barriers to employment and education.
In 2020, 321 youth were served through our employment, training, alumni services, education, case management and graduate services. As a result, 86% of youth were employed and/or in school six months after graduating from New Door’s programs. We’ve identified that one of the biggest challenges for youth is connecting their education to a career, and the criticality of helping them uncover their passion and motivations to find their “why?” so they can do their best work. Over the course of the last year, we’ve received consistent feedback that continued support is essential for their success as they transition to independent adulthood.
To meet this need, we’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Director of Transition Services.
About the Opportunity:
New Door clients represent a population of historically excluded youth in the Bay Area. A typical client profile has a combination of critical risk factors: a background in foster care, justice system involvement, significant substance abuse histories, experience of homelessness, connection with gang activity, and lack of positive adult supports. The Director of Transition Services will lead an expansion of New Door’s employment and education programs with a focus on strengthening job placement and career-opportunity employment, expansion of high school equivalency services (GED/HiSet) and launching of postsecondary education transition services.
While you’ll be asked to work primarily from our San Francisco headquarters location (we’re located in the Mission), we’ll ask that you travel to visit program sites and New Door community partners in Alameda and San Francisco Counties.
Who We’re Hiring:
Under the supervision of the Chief Program Officer, the ideal candidate for Director of Transition Services will be a self-motivated and accountable leader who demonstrates effective program leadership and management skills, comfort working in an adaptive and innovative work environment, superior communication and interpersonal skills, and a commitment to advancing equity and economic mobility for youth.
What Success Looks Like:
- Establishes New Door Ventures as a leading provider of career-opportunity employment and education services.
- Develops sustainable and successful partnerships with a variety of stakeholders – CBOs, college and other postsecondary education training providers, employers, volunteers and others.
- Builds strong relationships across cross-functional teams at both the leadership and individual contributor levels.
- Inspires others around you to do their best work and help create a supportive environment that enables growth.
- Collaborative Leadership and Vision Development:
- Contribute to and lead cross-functional efforts to advance New Door’s impact in the Bay Area.
- Collaboratively design and clearly communicate, a vision for how to successfully meet program goals for Career and Education Services.
- Program Administration and Management:
- Manage and provide supervision to Career Development, High School Education and Postsecondary Education Teams.
- Evaluate current practices and outcomes and lead innovative solutions to support youth towards economic mobility.
- Develop and monitor program budgets to maximize resource allocation and impact.
- Support resource development, grant proposal development and related activities.
- Support a data-driven and learning culture; develop reporting and outcome measurement systems.
- Serve as NDV expert on career-development, high school education and postsecondary education landscape and opportunities.
- Community Engagement:
- Elevate the visibility of the Career Development and Education Programs.
- Cultivate relationships with key stakeholders in San Francisco and East Bay Communities.
- Represent NDV on relevant committees and task forces, as well as at speaking engagements, conference panels and trainings.
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- The equivalent of, or a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related area to social services
- 6+ years of leadership experience in employment and education programs for Transition-Age Youth.
- Deep knowledge / experience / familiarity of the communities NDV delivers programming.
- Inspirational leader who has exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building abilities.
- An organized and strategic thinker who is comfortable with oversight and project management and holds a high attention to detail.
- Demonstrable knowledge in conflict resolution and restorative practices.
- A self-starter with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use appropriate computer and reporting systems including Windows operating system, Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook (Apricot or Salesforce knowledge a plus).
The Director of Transition Services will earn $90-$95,000 annually dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits, 13 vacation days per year, 10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Director of Transition Services in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**