Associate Director of Development
About the Organization:
In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are over 20,000 youth aged 16-24 who are historically excluded from the education, employment, and social support they need to successfully transition to adulthood. The events that occurred in 2020-21 caused the already growing opportunity gap to expand exponentially.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was born out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater economic opportunity and stability in independent adulthood. 97% of New Door youth are low-income people of color who are experiencing barriers to employment and education.
In 2021, New Door served more than 200 youth through our employment, transition, and education services. As a result, 85% of youth were employed and/or in school six months after graduating from New Door’s programs. In 2022 we continue to see substantial momentum for continued growth and are launching a new strategic plan.
To strengthen our resources as we continue this momentum, we are seeking an Associate Director of Development to help drive fundraising for our programs.
About the Opportunity:
A founding position, the Associate Director of Development advances the organization’s critical fundraising strategies to realize and operationalize the strategic plan, as well as efforts of New Door Ventures. This highly motivated and experienced leader will be responsible for providing leadership strategy and planning guidance to the development team.
Who We’re Hiring:
Under the supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the ideal candidate will be a strategic and accountable leader who effectively nurtures a culture of collaboration with internal and external stakeholders. With equity and inclusivity, the Associate Director of Development will prioritize DEIB best practices through fundraising strategy and operations. A self-starter, able to work independently, the ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial in nature, and enjoy creating and implementing new initiatives.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Strategic thought partnership and direct and indirect people, team, and project management.
- Providing strategic direction in partnership with the Chief Development Officer and creating long term and annual plans for monthly and online donors, as well as new audiences.
- Overseeing staff detail for campaigns and driving audiences to act and donate. Collaborating with all internal departments; building coalitions to meet multiple goals.
- Monitoring to ensure backend development operations inclusive of gift processing and acknowledgement.
- Represent and act on behalf of the department when making decisions or when releasing information and coordinating projects. Participate in a shared responsibility and in collaboration with the volunteer and internal and external constituents.
Major Fundraising: Appeals, Solicitation and Communication
- Project manages a minimum of two annual campaigns per year, including direct mail appeal and online campaigns with peer-to-peer fundraising plans
- Support Board and Ambassadors Council fundraising campaigns and events, including Giving Tuesday and stewardship events throughout the year
- Coordinate monthly newsletter content and disseminate through MailChimp
- Contribute to and maintain resources such as indexed boilerplate and story banks; photo library; quotes and testimonials bank; and research and data reading lists
Donor Database: maintenance, operations, and stewardship
- Maintain and manage accurate records in New Door’s donor database (Salesforce NPSP), including inputting and updating accounts, contacts, tasks, notes, documents, correspondence, reports and other materials from development and marketing team and other staff members
- Process and properly categorize all gifts, grants and pledges made to New Door, creating, sending, and logging all acknowledgment letters for gifts in the database. Keep stakeholders, including board and associate board members, aware of their donor’s giving
- Manage and troubleshoot donation platforms, finding creative ways to improve processes
- Use the Salesforce platform to always maintain accurate donor and donation data, including prospect identification, cultivation activities, and next steps, revenue campaigns and goals, and related opportunity records
- Generate fundraising reports, analyze trends, and track campaigns
- Support the planning and execution of organizational events, including the New Door annual Glow Up Awards fundraiser; utilize Salesforce to track all event invites, relationships, and responses in an accurate and timely manner
- Manage guest relations and RSVPs for all donor-facing events; provide top-notch customer service in managing guest correspondence
- Schedule, plan and coordinate meetings and other small-scale donor events
- Organize volunteer opportunities for donors and corporate employees, in partnership with relationship managers
Coordination of New Door Ventures Ambassadors Council
- Schedule and plan monthly Ambassadors Council (“AC”) meetings (New Door’s Associate Board)
- Coordinate AC fundraising campaigns and events, including Giving Tuesday and stewardship events throughout the year
Other responsibilities as assigned
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Aligned with New Door Venture’s mission and core values
- The equivalent of, or a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in development, marketing, and nonprofit management
- 5+ years’ experience in development inclusive of systems and people management
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work
- Expert written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous self-learning and growth, especially related to the development of strong equity competencies and managing diverse teams as well as modeling this approach with others.
- The ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours
- A sincere commitment to work collaboratively with constituent groups including staff, board members, and volunteers, donors, participants, and other supporters
- Diplomacy and emotional intelligence
- The ability, capacity, and skills to manage the emotions of oneself, others, and of groups, to influence others to resolve problems, manage projects, and / or implement appropriate solutions
- The ability to work well and collaborate effectively across differences
- The ability to identify and coordinate organization wide resources to achieve appropriate outcomes
- Dedicated to team management skills including effective planning and delegation
- Highly collaborative budget manager
- Uses data effectively to track progress to goals
- Provides strategic thought partnership to the Chief Development Officer
- Ability to use appropriate computer and reporting systems including Windows operating system, Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook (Apricot or Salesforce knowledge a plus).
The Associate Director of Development will earn a starting salary of $95,000 dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits, 13 vacation days per year (increasing at 3 years), 10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and all candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you would be a terrific addition to our team. Please include Associate Director of Development Opportunity in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered***