Director of Strategic Initiatives
In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are over 80,000 youth aged 16-24 who are disconnected from the education, employment, and the social support they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was born from the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, as well as personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater economic opportunity and stability in independent adulthood.
In 2019, we placed 319 youth through our employment programs. We’ve identified that one of the biggest challenges for youth is connecting their education to a career, and the criticality of helping them uncover their passion and motivations to find their “why?” so they can do their best work. Over the course of the last year, we’ve received consistent feedback that continued support is essential for their success as they transition to independent adulthood.
Following years of unprecedented growth, New Door was able to pivot quickly in 2020, rising to the challenges of COVID-19 business restrictions, and continue to provide individualized, remote services to each enrolled young person. Piloting new growth in virtual internships and tech support (including implementing a tech library for youth). New Door continues to not only respond to demand, but to provide best-in-class services, while remaining poised for expansion.
In order to meet this need, we’re excited to announce that we’re hiring a Director of Strategic Initiatives.
About the Role:
The Director of Strategic Initiatives reports directly to the CEO and provides the support to manage priority initiatives. The Director of Strategic Initiatives will represent the CEO and Executive Office and act as a liaison with staff on all levels of the organization, the community, and external stakeholders. This position serves as strategic thought partner to leaders and makes sure that the work is done on time. This role requires a highly resourceful individual with excellent communication skills who can build strong and sustainable relationships to influence, collaborate with, and achieve actionable results through others. The Director of Strategic Initiatives will facilitate effective and efficient decision making by the CEO by prioritizing critical issues and providing the required information to make informed decisions. The ideal candidate has experience handling complex situations, multiple responsibilities, is fluent in data-informed decision making, and can handle long-term projects alongside urgent needs.
Primary responsibilities include:
Drive Strategic Initiatives And Priorities:
- Provide thought-partnership to Chief Executive Officer and other Senior Leadership Team members on developing and reflecting upon organization-wide annual priorities as well as other strategic endeavors
- Drive strategic planning by establishing alignment and progress monitoring around a set of annual and multi-year strategic priorities; support regular evaluation or progress to goals
- Support the development of departmental and organization-wide budgets to ensure resources are allocated to support organizational priorities and initiatives
- Research, perform benchmarking, analyze data, and make recommendations
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline operations
Meeting Preparation And Project Management:
- In collaboration with other senior leaders and staff, identify and facilitate internal and external meetings needed to advance CEO and organizational priorities
- Coordinate recurring meetings and larger step backs to ensure all time spent together is highly effective: that the right topics are raised, facilitation supports healthy debate on the most important questions, and there is clear ownership and follow through
- Represent CEO voice and interests in event planning meetings; tees up decisions and guidance in a timely manner (including leadership and board retreats, conferences, and other special events)
Special Projects And Initiatives:
- Manage and own the strong execution of discrete projects and strategic initiatives
- Oversee cross-functional organization-wide projects or initiatives, building operational infrastructure to ensure complex projects are successful and encourage cross-functional collaboration
- Provide additional capacity, as necessary, across departments to ensure successful completion of projects
- Support CEO in developing agendas and materials for Board and committee meetings. Identify opportunities to engage the board on strategic issues and follow-up with members as appropriate
- Serve as liaison between organization and Board of Directors to ensure all board documents and trainings are complete, filed, and compliant
- Manage internal communication to ensure transparency and team cohesion
- Plan holiday party and culture building team events
- Manage external communication to align with our strategic vision, communicate our story, and fully engage stakeholders
- Directly lead Office Manager/Executive Assistant
- Coach and mentor direct report regarding problem resolution and performance
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- 7+ years’ related experience, experience supporting CEO is a plus
- Excellent decision-making capabilities based on analytical skills and critical thought processes
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that requires time-management skills and the ability to effectively prioritize
- Highly organized with strong ability to manage multiple priorities with a proactive sense of initiative and follow-through.
- Ability to sense/identify potential opportunities and challenges and adapt plans and processes to ensure successful results
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple initiatives and projects objectives within specific timelines and to work both collaboratively and independently on critical projects
- Solid communication skills, written and verbal
- Sound judgment, including the ability to maintain confidentiality concerning highly sensitive information
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Demonstrates cultural humility and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Commitment to the mission and values of New Door Ventures
The successful candidate will earn from $90K-$110K annually dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including: medical, dental, vision, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, 13 vacation days per year, commuter benefits, and 13 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Director of Strategic Initiatives in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**