New Door Ventures is an early intervention employment and education program for high-potential transition-age youth (TAY) ages 17-24 who reside in Bay Area communities facing elevated levels of youth disconnection, socioeconomic challenges, and community stress.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was borne out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater success in adulthood. Our strategies provide educational and economic mobility for TAY facing significant barriers to obtaining and retaining unsubsidized employment, empowering youth make successful transitions to adulthoods marked by economic independence and engagement with their community.
Since 2005, we have served more than 5,000, and directly employed over 2,700, TAY through our workforce readiness programs with demonstrable long-term impact. According to California’s Employment Development Department (EDD), 74% of our program graduates are employed 3 years after program exit — significantly higher than youth who began but did not complete the program (52%) and all California youth ages 16-24 (40%). EDD wage data also demonstrates that youth who completed our program have higher average annual earnings of 40% one year after program completion and 200% two years after program completion than the year prior to entering the program.
New Door currently operates in San Francisco and Oakland. We are excited to be expanding to San Jose in 2024, in partnership with MidPen Housing. MidPen is the Bay Area’s largest affordable housing provider and partners with nonprofit organizations to support residents’ economic mobility.
To serve the launch of our San Jose Employment Program we are currently hiring an Employment Program Manager.
About the Opportunity:
The Employment Program Manager leads the development, launch and implementation of pilot youth employment program in San Jose in partnership with MidPen Housing. This position leads and manages the San Jose Employment Program and associated initiatives including, but not limited to, staff supervision, planning and oversight of day-to-day operations, program development and evaluation, and reporting. The role is designed to collaborate with other agency leaders to assure the effective implementation of programming and the achievement of desired program outcomes.
This role is established to serve a pilot program, currently planned for 2 years. The position is exempt and is located primarily on-site at MidPen’s Italian Gardens location in San Jose, CA. Currently, New Door Ventures employs a hybrid work location policy, with a 3:2 office/remote cadence and the expectation of in office days on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Some travel is expected, both in-city and to our other locations. Exact schedules and locations are set by your supervisor based on the needs of our clients and individual responsibilities. New Door Offices are designed to be welcoming spaces, equipped to keep staff and clients protected from infectious disease transmission. Teams strive for respectful collaboration within locations and across regions.
Who We’re Hiring:
Under the supervision of the Chief Program Officer, the ideal candidate will be a self-motivated and accountable leader who demonstrates effective program management skills, comfort working in an adaptive and innovative work environment, superior communication and interpersonal skills, and a commitment to advancing equity and economic mobility for youth.
What Success Looks Like:
- Enrollment and program completion and successful post-program placement goals met
- All materials, resources, and equipment needed to implement the program are readily available for staff and youth participants
- Sustain existing and establish new relationships with current referral and community partners
- Leads by example, modeling the values, attributes and behaviors that serve as the foundation for a thriving work culture and program impact
Program Management (60%)
- Oversee operations of San Jose Employment Program, ensuring that program content is effectively delivered, that pre-employment trainings, support services and skill building workshops are effective and that desired outcomes are achieved
- Lead development of workshop curriculum and training
- Collaborate with program partner MidPen Housing to facilitate program referrals
- Lead program intake process to help ensure that youth participants meet enrollment criteria and target population goals
- Collaborate with New Door’s Business Partnership team and employment partners to establish and sustain high-quality worksites
- Represent New Door Ventures in community to increase visibility and support partnership development
Staff Supervision (15%)
- Supervise the Youth Workforce Specialist position
- Develop, support, and monitor annual goal setting, professional development, and performance evaluation processes
- Provide coaching and performance management
Workshop Support (10%)
- Support the Youth Workforce Specialist in advance of and during workshops and skill-development opportunities
Budget Oversight (5%)
- Provide feedback on department budget in cooperation with Chief Program Officer
- Monitor team expenses and assure that department is within budget
Program Development and Evaluation (10%)
- Support the development of annual plan program operating plan, and ensure program goals and objectives are met over the course of the year
- Ensure program evaluation projects and tasks are implemented with fidelity to ensure program quality
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- The equivalent of, or a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related area to social services
- 3 – 7 years’ experience in vocational training for transition-age youth, adult education, or similar settings including direct service to transition-age youth, disconnected youth populations, preferably in a youth employment program and including people management
- Detail oriented with the ability to work in a fast-paced and de-centralized work environment
- Entrepreneurial mindset and solutions orientation
- Knowledge / experience / familiarity of the communities we serve in Santa Clara County
- Inspirational leader who has exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building abilities.
- An organized and strategic thinker who is comfortable with oversight and project management and holds a high attention to detail.
- Demonstrable knowledge in conflict resolution and restorative practices.
- A self-starter with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use appropriate computer and reporting systems including Windows operating system, Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook (Apricot or Salesforce knowledge a plus).
Employment Program Manager at New Door Ventures earn $69,700.00 – $88,100.00 annually, dependent on experience. Compensation is reviewed annually. New Door offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, commuter benefits, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition support, and PTO of 7+ weeks in the first year including 13 vacation days, ~10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a youth-focused, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Employment Program Manager in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**