Marketing & Social Media Manager
About the Organization:
In the San Francisco Bay Area, there are over 20,000 youth aged 16-24 who are historically excluded from the education, employment, and social support they need to successfully transition to adulthood. The events that occurred in 2020-21 caused the already growing opportunity gap to expand exponentially.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was born out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater economic opportunity and stability in independent adulthood. 97% of New Door youth are low-income people of color who are experiencing barriers to employment and education.
In 2021, New Door served more than 200 youth through our employment, transition, and education services. As a result, 85% of youth were employed and/or in school six months after graduating from New Door’s programs. In 2022 we continue to see substantial momentum for continued growth and are launching a new strategic plan.
About the Opportunity:
A newly re-scoped position, the Social Media Manager will be responsible for sourcing, writing, producing, and distributing content for online and/or offline marketing needs. This role sits within the fund development team, and will use written, multimedia, and video to bring the stories of our youth and program to life for donors, volunteers, and other stakeholders. This position will work cross collaboratively with our professional staff and youth and will manage New Door’s presence on social media platforms and print materials.
Who We’re Hiring:
Under the supervision of the Chief Development Officer, the ideal candidate will be a credible messenger, able to authentically and respectfully share the stories of the youth we serve without exploitation. With equity and inclusivity, the Marketing and Social Media Manager will work internally and externally to increase awareness of New Door Ventures’ core work as well as special initiatives. A self-starter, able to work independently, the ideal candidate will be visually savvy and entrepreneurial in nature, have graphic design experience, and enjoy creating and implementing new initiatives.
What Success Looks Like: Curated narratives and a well branded New Door Ventures. Success is focused on maximizing results around development key activities. Use of data to craft relevant asset framed communications internally and externally and drive communications. Customized communications based on acquired knowledge of donors and prospects. Communicate with donors on a regular basis including the sharing of new and valuable information and regular reminders of why they support New Door Ventures. Key communication drivers will include:
- Website updates
- Program integration
- Success stories: track the results of every marketing effort
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Partner with Chief Development Officer to create and implement the organization’s communications and social media strategy including a content calendar
- Maintain organization website and serve as liaison to New Door’s external webmaster
- Manage content creation for external collateral including annual reports, infographics, press sheets, and FAQ’s as necessary
- Serve as primary drafter of all messaging to a varied audience, including newsletters, CEO updates, fundraising literature, and online giving campaigns
- Prepare and maintain marketing materials for outreach opportunities on behalf of New Door Ventures
- Maintain a library of internal templates including slide decks and letterhead
- Maintain internal style guide, and work with staff across teams to ensure knowledge and use of accepted New Door nomenclature
- With the Development Coordinator, manage and troubleshoot donation platforms, finding creative ways to improve processes
- Draft content for a minimum of two annual campaigns per year, including direct mail appeal and online campaigns with peer-to-peer fundraising plans
- Support Board and Ambassadors Council fundraising efforts with boilerplate templates for events such as Giving Tuesday and other stewardship opportunities
- Draft monthly newsletter content and work with Development Coordinator to distribute using MailChimp
- Create and maintain resources such as indexed boilerplate and story banks; photo library; quotes and testimonials bank
- Track data and submit marketing narratives for monthly department dashboards and management report
- Use analytics to target and drive engagement with desired audiences
Secondary Responsibilities Include:
- Work with our program teams to support young people in telling their stories in an authentic, and respectful way
- Coach youth in preparation for speaking opportunities with visitors and at events
- Understand the youth protection policy to protect the visual and online image of all New Door youth
- Support volunteer programming
Other Responsibilities as Assigned
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Aligned with New Door Venture’s mission and core values
- The equivalent of, or a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in communications, external relations, or a related field
- 5+ years’ experience in development inclusive of systems and people management
- A commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work
- Expert written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous self-learning and growth, especially related to the development of strong equity competencies and managing diverse teams as well as modeling this approach with others.
- The ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours
- A sincere commitment to collaborate with constituent groups including staff, board members, and volunteers, donors, participants, and other supporters
- Diplomacy and emotional intelligence
- The ability, capacity, and skills to manage the emotions of oneself, others, and of groups, to influence others to resolve problems, manage projects, and / or implement appropriate solutions
- The ability to work well and collaborate effectively across differences
- Dedicated team management skills including effective planning and delegation
- Uses data effectively to track progress to goals
- Provides strategic thought partnership to the Chief Development Officer
- Excellent computer and graphics skills including demonstrated excellence with Canva, Adobe, InDesign, MailChimp, Microsoft and Apple operating systems, and Microsoft Office Suite
The Marketing and Social Media Manager will earn a starting salary of $70,000.00/year dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits, 13 vacation days per year (increasing at 3 years), 10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and all candidates from diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Marketing and Social Media Manager Opportunity in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
***Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered***