New Door Ventures is an early intervention employment and education program for high-potential transition-age youth (TAY) ages 17-24 who reside in Bay Area communities facing elevated levels of youth disconnection, socioeconomic challenges, and community stress.
Founded in 1981, New Door Ventures was borne out of the belief that by providing resources for youth to build foundational education and job skills, personal support, mentorship, and pathways to higher education and career opportunities, these young people can experience greater success in adulthood. Our strategies provide educational and economic mobility for TAY facing significant barriers to obtaining and retaining unsubsidized employment, empowering youth make successful transitions to adulthoods marked by economic independence and engagement with their community.
Since 2005, we have served more than 5,000, and directly employed over 2,700, TAY through our workforce readiness programs with demonstrable long-term impact. According to California’s Employment Development Department (EDD), 74% of our program graduates are employed 3 years after program exit — significantly higher than youth who began but did not complete the program (52%) and all California youth ages 16-24 (40%). EDD wage data also demonstrates that youth who completed our program have higher average annual earnings of 40% one year after program completion and 200% two years after program completion than the year prior to entering the program.
To serve our Operations Team we are currently hiring an Operations Assistant.
About the Opportunity:
The Operations Assistant is an entry level role, and will support the finance, HR, and administrative functions of the organization. In addition to payroll coordination, recruiting communications, and triaging operations requests, the Operations Assistant will have an unusually high level of attention to detail. The goal of this position is to provide capacity to the larger operations team, and to support daily administrative operations during a time of growth.
This role is non-exempt and is located primarily on-site at New Door’s San Francisco headquarters. Currently, New Door Ventures employs a hybrid work location policy, with a 3:2 office/remote cadence and the expectation of in office days on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. New Door’s spacious three-story building in the Mission District of San Francisco is a comfortable, welcoming space, equipped to keep staff and clients protected from transmission of infectious disease. Office space is open-plan and shared with a collaborative, respectful team.
Who We’re Hiring:
Under the shared supervision of the Directors of Finance & Administration and People Operations, the ideal candidate will be self-motivated, adaptable, and ready to learn. They will have superior communication and interpersonal skills, and share our commitment to advancing equity and economic mobility for youth.
What Success Looks Like:
- Payroll processes are well organized, on-time, and accurate
- Candidate communications and schedule management are timely and compassionate
- Administrative support requests are received with curiosity, and careful attention
- Staff report a good response rate and collegial working relationships
- Payroll Assistant: 50%
- In collaboration with the Accounting Manager, payroll is processed according to schedule
- Data entry into the payroll system (Insperity) for semi-monthly payroll, stipend and other check requests, profile creation, regular payroll deductions, etc.
- Triage questions for the finance team
- HR Assistant: 25%
- Recruiting communications for candidates & hiring teams including applicant response & scheduling
- Candidate tracker & materials management; honorarium and referral bonus check requests
- Paper flow management including maintaining physical posting compliance
- Facilities, Operations, and Staff Event Assistant: 25%
- Triage of tech support and facilities requests
- Assist with planning and execution of regular and special staff events
- Maintain office kitchen supplies
- Serve on office emergency response team
- In collaboration with Administrative Coordinator, greet facilities and technology vendors
Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
- The equivalent of, or a Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related area to social services
- 1+ years’ experience in administrative support, preferably in youth employment program settings
- Knowledge of payroll processes
- Knowledge / experience / familiarity of the communities to which New Door delivers programming
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building abilities
- An organized thinker who is comfortable with detail oriented project support and holds a high attention to detail
- A self-starter with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use appropriate computer and reporting systems including Windows operating system, Microsoft Office Suite, and Outlook (accounting and/or payroll software knowledge a plus)
Operations Assistants at New Door Ventures earn $63,000.00-$65,920.00 annually dependent on experience. Compensation is reviewed annually. New Door offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, commuter benefits, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition support, and PTO of 7+ weeks in the first year including 13 vacation days, ~10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a youth-focused, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include Operations Assistant in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**