Youth Development Specialist: East Bay Region
About the Organization:
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two programs: Employment (Youth Development), and Education. We are currently seeking a Youth Development Specialist to join our established, collaborative, East Bay Regional Youth Development Team.
About the Program:
New Door has a vibrant team approach to our work with transitional age youth. All Youth Development Specialists work collaboratively to develop and execute youth programs, provide individual case management and support to a young person, and participate in the broader Bay Area youth employment community. New Door emphasizes an outcome-focused approach to youth development and places high value on the power of relationships to transform the lives of the young people we serve. The ideal candidate will share our commitment to personal integrity and advancing equity.
New Door clients represent a population of under-served youth in San Francisco and Alameda County. A typical client profile has a combination of critical risk factors: a background in foster care, justice system involvement, significant substance abuse histories, experience of homelessness, connection with gang activity, and lack of positive adult supports.
About the Position:
At New Door, Youth Development Specialists (“YDS”) provide case management, advocacy, and life and job skills training to youth with a goal of supporting youth to attach to future employment and education. New Door YDS have a dual role which includes supervision to youth in their job-training internships as well as case management. Supervision includes working closely with site supervisors to whom interns report in order to ensure youth have all the tools they need to succeed in their assigned jobs.
In addition to this core work, each YDS works on multiple special projects as needed, including (but not limited to), workshop curriculum development, outreach and recruitment, and collecting beneficiary feedback.
This role is non-exempt and is located at New Door’s West Oakland location. Office space is on-site with one of New Door’s community partners, and is shared with that program as well as a collaborative, respectful team. Travel between program sites (for the purposes of case management and supervision) is expected.
- Case Management (caseload of 10-12 Transitional Age Youth)
- Workshop Facilitation
- Job Training and Skill Development
- Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Relational and Organizational Support
- Community Outreach and External Relationship Management
- Case Notes and Documentation Maintenance
- Youth-centered Activities Coordination
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- 2+ years experience in direct service to Transitional Aged, disconnected youth populations, preferably in a youth employment program
- Outstanding facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrated excellence in youth development philosophy, skills, and practice
- Experience with and enjoyment of 1:1 case management; excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage, inspire, and instruct young adults (ages 16-24)
- Knowledge of Alameda, San Francisco, and / or Contra Costa County Transitional Age Youth population needs, available resources, and a network within similar community-based organizations
- Agility and flexibility; successful work history within a scaling organization
- Self-motivated, comfortable with both independent and collaborative processes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related field or its equivalent
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database user skills
- Touch typing
- Understanding of case notes and / or documentation
- Access to a car; licensed, insured driver
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Conversational Spanish language skills
- Teaching background
- Task and Client Management
- Focus on Impact and Effectiveness
- Interpersonal Skills
- Initiative, Learning, and Decision-making
Youth Development Specialists at New Door Ventures earn from the mid to high $40’s annually dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including: medical, dental, vision, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, 13 vacation days per year, commuter benefits, and 11 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. Youth Development Specialists have direct and significant impact on the lives of program participants, ensuring they receive the highest quality, most relevant work and life skill experience. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include YDS Opportunity in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.