People Operations Specialist
About the Organization
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two programs: Employment and Education. We are currently seeking a People Operations Specialist to provide thought partnership, administrative support, and project management for all aspects of the organization’s People Operations department, as well as contribute to org-wide functions as needed.
About the Role
New Door Ventures has been on an upward trajectory of growth since they began to expand regionally in 2018. That same year, HR was invested in as a stand-alone department for the first time and has increased People Operation’s strategic contribution to organizational operations over the past 3 years. With significant goals for raising the level of support given to staff from recruiting throughout their tenure with the organization, we are excited to identify a second member of the HR team. Reporting to the Director of People Operations, the ideal candidate will be highly organized, process oriented, and solutions minded. A highly relational individual, this person will thrive outside the spotlight as a creator of systems to support the success and needs of all staff (youth and professional staff): present, past, and future.
What Success Looks Like:
Confident communication – all drafts created to 95% of externally ready regardless of the audience
Systems elevation – evaluate current systems to eliminate or improve cumbersome, redundant, or low UX platforms
Team cohesion – flexibility and willingness to move from priority to priority across the organization
Collegial trust – serve as a trusted source for all things people operations, from knowledge resources to policies and practices Youth-centered allyship – able to support the youth in our program with trust and respect
- Administrative responsibility for full cycle recruiting; management of timeline and process from position launch through finalist onboarding
- Prospecting and candidate sourcing including targeted outreach and pipeline management
- Salary analysis and data collection
- Support Hiring Managers in implementation of onboarding plans, as requested
Staff Development and Performance Management: In partnership with the Director of People Operations
- Research and maintain a library of appropriate professional development opportunities with reputable service providers
- Provide administrative support for the annual assessment process, from launch through compensation change announcements
- Participate in the creation of staff satisfaction surveys, and analysis of exit data and trends
- Support administration of staff benefits enrollment platform for new hires, qualifying event changes, annual open enrollment, and staff exits
- Maintain knowledge of benefits use, support increase in enrollment across plans; conduct semi-annual look-back for part time employee benefit eligibility
- Primary communicator with external benefits support providers
Compliance and Systems
- Maintain employee files and records as required by law
- Administer required trainings such as workplace harassment
- Provide information for verifications, audits, unemployment claims, and government requests
- Review and evaluate processes, recommend changes to increase efficiency and user experience
- Two years of successful, professional-level experience in HR or relevant field is preferred; experience in nonprofit human services organizations is highly desired
- A high degree of discretion, tact, & understanding of HR confidentiality rules
- Ability to work independently and problem solve with minimum assistance and an understanding of when consultation with others is needed
- Outstanding customer service and relationship management skills including active listening, co-operation, and social-emotional awareness
- Ability to think cross-functionally and consider the needs of those outside of their own team
- Results and impact-oriented. Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Understanding of basic employment law and regulations
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
The People Operations Specialist will earn a starting salary of $53,000 – $58,000 annually, dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, commuter benefits, 13 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 13.5 company holidays per year.
Organizational Benefits New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include People Operations Specialist in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: Please submit any questions about the position to: Staffing@newdoor.org.
**Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered**