About the Organization:
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two programs: Employment (Youth Development), and Education. We are currently seeking a Youth Development Intake Specialist to join our established, collaborative, East Bay Regional Youth Development Team.
About the Program:
New Door’s East Bay Employment Program is community-based and the program is run in partnership with youth service organizations and Oakland Unified School District continuation high schools in Oakland, CA. Our goal is for youth to gain exposure to the Bay Area workforce and have a positive work experience where they can build skills that lead to their next employment opportunity. Youth participate in a two-week pre-employment training before starting a three-month paid internship with an employer partner at one of more than 100 local businesses. While in program, youth also engage in weekly employment skills workshops and 1:1 case management sessions.
New Door clients represent a population of under-served youth in San Francisco and Alameda Counties. A typical intern is experiencing specific known socioeconomic, historic, and/or individual barriers and experiences that may negatively impact their opportunities to achieve employment and school success. These barriers include being impacted by the social services and criminal justice systems, significant substance abuse histories, experience of homelessness, gang impact, and a lack of support navigating systems.
About the Position:
The Youth Development Intake Specialist (“YDIS”) will work collaboratively to develop and execute youth programs, provide individual case management and support to a young person, and participate in the broader Bay Area youth employment community. New Door emphasizes an outcome-focused approach to youth development and places high value on the power of relationships to transform the lives of the young people we serve. The ideal candidate will share our commitment to personal integrity and advancing equity.
The YDIS has a dual role which includes overseeing the processes related to enrolling youth participants in the New Door youth employment program, as well as supervision and case management of youth in their job-training internship. YDIS job duties include client intake paperwork organization and oversight of client profile creation in New Door’s case management database, Apricot. Additionally, this position includes youth Case Management for a partial caseload of participants, typically 5-7 young people at a time. Case management services include weekly meetings with program participants, supporting them to develop individual employment plans and providing guidance as they work in a 12-week paid internship, and work towards achieving their goals and working in their paid internship placements. In addition to this core work, the YDIS works on special projects as needed, including (but not limited to), workshop curriculum development, outreach and recruitment, and collecting participant feedback.
This role is non-exempt and is located at New Door’s West Oakland location. Office space is on-site with one of New Door’s community partners, and is shared with that program as well as a collaborative, respectful team. Travel between program sites (for the purposes of case management and supervision) is expected.
What Success Looks Like:
- The EB program maintains effective, clearly defined online and in-person intake systems that facilitate smooth program implementation
- Youth friendly outreach materials are distributed to EB referral partners and through NDV social media
- Youth applicants can easily access the NDV application and clearly understand next steps
- NDV staff fully understand the intake system and their individual role in implementation
- The EB intake process is in alignment with grant requirements and deliverables
- The EB intake process is centered around equity and social justice values
Primary Intake Specialist Responsibilities:
- Lead scheduled program information sessions
- Develop and implement internal processes for identifying and enrolling youth participants
- Support youth who meet program criteria to move through the intake phase and be considered for program enrollment
- Intake Paperwork organization and distribution – including the use of DocuSign
- Provide basic career services including an initial assessment to determine the needs of the client
- Data Management
- Ensure all intake information is documented in Apricot database
Primary Case Management Responsibilities:
- Case Management (caseload of 5-8 Transitional Age Youth)
- Workshop Facilitation
- Job Training and Skill Development
- Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Relational and Organizational Support
- Community Outreach and External Relationship Management
- Case Notes and Documentation Maintenance
- Youth-centered Activities Coordination
- Coordination with the administrative operations team on items such as youth pay
- Serve on internal task groups as requested
Preferred Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- 2 years’ experience in direct service to Transitional Aged Youth (“TAY”) populations, preferably in a youth employment program
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrated excellence in youth development philosophy, skills, and practice
- Experience with and enjoyment of 1:1 case management; excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage, inspire, and instruct TAY
- Knowledge of Alameda County TAY population needs, available resources, and a network including similar community-based organizations. Extensive knowledge of the city of Oakland a plus
- Agility and flexibility; successful work history within a scaling organization
- Self-motivated, comfortable with both independent and collaborative processes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related field or its equivalent
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database user skills
- Touch typing
- Understanding of case notes and / or documentation
- Access to a car; licensed, insured driver
- Knowledge of the barriers that exist for historically oppressed people including those experiencing poverty, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ individuals
- Desired, but not required: Bilingual language capabilities, preferably Spanish; data analysis and grant management and reporting skills; background in Workforce Development; history as a Credible Messenger
Youth Development Intake Specialists at New Door Ventures earn from the mid to high $40’s annually, dependent on experience. New Door offers a generous benefit package including: medical, dental, vision, matched 403(b) retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement, 13 vacation days per year, commuter benefits, and 11 company holidays per year.
New Door Ventures challenges staff professionally and provides ample professional development opportunities and on-the-job growth. Youth Development Specialists have direct and significant impact on the lives of program participants, ensuring they receive the highest quality, most relevant work and life skill experience. New Door culture is stimulating and motivating, populated with dedicated, intelligent staff and a strong, established leadership team.
New Door Ventures is a safe space for all, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, country of origin, religion, or ability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. New Door Ventures is a 501(c)3 community-serving nonprofit and an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to have a diverse team representative of the young people it serves.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include YDIS Opportunity in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
***Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered***